Support both store planning and technical design needs of the business.
A) Working with clients to determine best store layouts, producing accurate schematics for retailer sign off and equipment shipping.
B) Ensuring displays and fixture concepts are on-budget, factory ready and built to your specifications
Reporting to: Technical Design Manager
This is a 50/50 split role supporting the growth of a new function, layout planning and also needs of our technical design department.
You will have the ownership of bringing this new service to life with direct client contact. Creating store layout packs along with all required documentation to enable the right equipment to be picked in our warehouse and installed in stores globally as per your plan vision.
Working as part of our cross-functional teams you will transform visualised concepts into manufacturing-ready drawings. Your role will also include checking prototypes and first production items, presenting them to clients as appropriate. You are responsible for managing your time effectively, meeting deadlines, working with your colleagues to design functional, aesthetically relevant displays within budget and time constraints.
- Own the store planning process for our business.
- Taking client briefs and building plan layouts in Sketchup.
- Producing relevant documents for client and retailer approval
- Producing detailed BOM’s to enable the correct items to be picked and shipped to install.
- Working with our internal and external teams to advise on plans.
- Drive innovation and efficiency in this process.
- Working with the conceptual designer to realise the chosen design.
- Take approved visuals/concepts and produce prototype and manufacturing drawings.
- Work closely with your colleagues in the Supply Department to ensure we choose the right supply chain solutions for the project. Liaise as necessary with factories to resolve and questions and problems.
- Manage construction and completion of your Team prototypes. Evaluate and redesign prototypes as necessary to ensure that the delivered unit performs satisfactorily.
- Visit factories as needed to verify display construction, specifications and quality.
- Ensure required project documentation adheres to company defined processes – detailed 2D Drawings, Parts Lists, QC guidelines, Technical Specification Sheets and Assembly Diagrams.
Experience and Qualifications:
- Degree or similar level qualification in product design engineering or related discipline.
- Working understanding and experience in designing for manufacturing in
- Metal: sheet, wire tubular fabrication, welding and finishing.
- Plastic: sheet fabrication, vacuum forming, injection moulding, extrusion
- Wood: fabrication and finishing
- Experienced user 3D CAD, Solidworks, Sketchup essential.
- Self-motivated—does not need constant supervision to stay productive
- Positive approach to problem solving / lateral thinking – can do attitude.
- Design development and project process awareness
- Very good attention to detail
- Good interpersonal skills—works well in a team environment
- Ability to work flexible hours, available to travel.