As a key member of the Supply function, the Project Buyer will take ultimate ‘ownership’ of relevant key projects within the company’s cross-functional team structure, covering all operational issues following design conception through to completion and delivery of the tangible ‘product’ to the client.
Working directly with our global supplier network, the incumbent will liaise closely with Sales, Design and where necessary the Customer to ensure the smooth flow of work through the business and satisfactory completion of projects on time, within budget and to the company’s quality standards.
Reporting: Senior Project Buyer
- Manage the progress of each project, taking full ownership, providing accurate information as required, to Sales and where necessary, direct to the customer.
- Ensure best price and delivery by means of benchmarking and negotiation with suppliers prior to submitting final costs.
- Work proactively on methods to drive efficiency and reduce cost by means of optimising use of the supply chain
- Maintaining budgetary control of all projects within the field of responsibility. Providing a major contribution to the company’s financial reporting system.
- Through active consultation with fellow team members and particularly the Project Manager, plan and facilitate work throughput, responding to and controlling change to ensure appropriate prioritisation of tasks.
- Ensuring appropriate quality control/assurance is maintained at all stages of the supply chain. Planning and overseeing on-site supervision of work in progress, where necessary.
- Interact directly with our overseas liaison offices, suppliers, partners, and inter-company divisions by way of conventional communications media and foreign travel.
- Working with the Sourcing team to help drive new supplier selection, development, and performance initiatives on a world-wide basis.
- Provide advice and intelligence to Designers and Sales staff on the external processes and services we manage, in terms of availability and prevailing commercial influencers.
Experience and Attributes:
- At least 3 year’ s experience of buying within a similar industry with a bias towards out-sourcing as opposed to in-house manufacture.
- Essential for the candidate to have a comprehensive working knowledge of most production disciplines (metalwork, joinery, acrylic fabrication, vacuum forming, print, injection moulding) and materials associated with manufacturing displays / fixtures.
- An understanding of technology associated with displays would be a distinct advantage.
- An understanding of technical drawings
- A track record of project buying POP and ancillary services for Brands, particularly relating to assemblies comprising of multi-materials & technology.
- Knowledge of Export / Import would be an advantage.
- Direct experience of managing both domestic and over-seas suppliers. Some experience in the Far Eastern supply market would be a distinct advantage.
- Computer literacy with a high level of competence with spread-sheeting, word-processing and production planning software.
- Highly numerate, able to analyse and add value to information
- Strong attention to detail
- Willingness to explore all angles to achieve solutions
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- First-rate organisational skills are a pre-requisite of this role
- A high energy level is an essential attribute
- Chartered Institute of Purchasing and Supply Level 4 or above
- BA (Hons) or HND in Business and Finance.
- Ability to speak Mandarin