Job Title: Mid-weight Technical Designer
Department: Technical Design – office-based
Software: SolidWorks preferred – advanced user
Reporting to: Technical Design Manager
Objective: Ensure design concepts are converted into functional and high-quality production ready units on time and within budget.
Working as part of your cross-functional team you will transform visualised retail concepts into manufacturing-ready drawings.
You will be the design champion for your team’s projects, owning the design and making it your responsibility to deliver it to the best quality possible.
As an experienced Technical Designer, you will possess extensive knowledge of manufacturing materials, processes, and costs, and ideally you will demonstrate experience of global manufacture.
You will be required, when necessary, to work directly with clients which may include project briefings and presentations.
You will be responsible for checking prototypes and factory first-off production units, presenting them to clients as appropriate to advance the project, travelling both within the UK and overseas as needed.
You are responsible for meeting deadlines, working with your colleagues to design retail solutions that can be manufactured to client expectations. You will need to manage your own time effectively and communicate clearly with your team members to ensure all is on track.
- Working with the conceptual designer to realise the chosen design.
- Take approved visuals/concepts and produce 3D models and manufacturing drawings using Solidworks.
- Be able to sketch solutions to assembly/manufacturing challenges or for estimation purposes.
- Ensure projects are designed to budget, actively looking for and promoting cost-saving opportunities during the design development.
- Work closely with Project Buyers to develop the appropriate combination of design and supplier, ensuring that designs meet the manufacturing capabilities of the supply base. Be conscious of varying regional supply capabilities and designing for the right market.
- Manage the build and completion of your prototypes, ensuring the unit is presented to the client to the highest quality and on time.
- Visit factories as needed to verify display unit construction, specifications, and quality.
- Create project documentation that adheres to company defined processes – detailed parts lists, QC reports, risk assessments and assembly guides.
- Ensure designs are fit for purpose, adhering to any client requirements or health & safety needs. Conduct testing if required.
- Manage your time and projects to meet agreed deadlines.
- Maintain excellent communication across all departments ensuring all relevant project information is circulated to all parties.
- Be highly motivated and bring good interpersonal skills to benefit your team during pressured situations.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Degree or similar level qualification in product design engineering or related discipline.
- 4+ years’ experience of working in POP/ fixture design industry.
- Working understanding and experience in designing for manufacture in:
- ▪ Metal: sheet, wire tubular fabrication, welding, and finishing.
- ▪ Plastic: sheet fabrication, vacuum forming, injection moulding, extrusion
- ▪ Wood: fabrication and finishing
- Design development and project process awareness.
- Experienced user of 3D parametric CAD, Solidworks preferred, plus Microsoft programs.
- Self-motivated – does not need constant supervision to stay productive.
- A good communicator, able to get ideas across and manage expectations in a non-confrontational manner.
- Good sketching ability.
- Good time management, working in an organised fashion.
- Positive approach to problem solving / lateral thinking.
- Very good attention to detail.
- Very good interpersonal skills – works well in a team environment and confident in front of clients.
- Ability to work flexible hours, when necessary, available to travel.